The first thing to note about this my testing of the Energy CF-70 floor standing speakers is that I tested them as a stereo pair (sans sub) and not as part of full surround system so of you are seeking a pair for front of AV room duties take everthing I have to say about the Energy CF-70s with a pinch of salt. you should really check any speaker set you are interested in at a local vendor before committing to a purchase anyway.
After unboxing and setting the Energy CF-70 up in my hifi room I have to say they are not as big as one might expect for a speaker pair weighing in at 26 pounds each. Looks wise with the grills on they look fairly unimposing and reserved as regular readers might know I tend to have my grills off, once I did this I found their aesthetics to be much more inspiring. A very pretty pair to be sure.
During testing I matched the CF-70s with one of my favourite day to day stereo amps the rather smooth and reliable Cambridge Audio Azur 640A which although perhaps a little underpowered for the hefty 300 W RMS @ 8 Ohms of the Energy CF-70s is an amp I know the general feel and characteristics of very well. After setting the cf-70s at a comfortable distance of about 7 feet from each other I was glad to hear that they gave out a seriously pristine performance. The bass end is tight and has a solid and reliable feel with both acoustic and more modern bass heavy music though if you are someone who likes to “feel” the boom in you bass you would do well to match the cf-70s with a suitable sub. The mid range is similarly precise but natural and unaffected sounding, witht he tops being incredibly wel rendered and managing to maintain great stereo imaging and instrument separation on well mixer material. You never get the feeling that you are hearing anything that has been electronically modified or filtered but more a case of a well handled and open sound, this was particularly noticeable on acoustic guitar and a personal favourite album of mine Kaki Kings excellent “Legs to Make Us Longer” sounded at once raw, powerful and still sonically pure.
Many reviewers have commented that the Energy CF-70s may take up to 100 hours of burn in time to reach their full sonic potential and while I would imagine this is probably true in the limited time I had to test the CF-70s I was still extremely satisfied with the quality of the results I received. A quality pair of speakers that give sterling sonic reproduction, pair with a decent sub and you are golden. Highly recommended, all I can say is roll on 100 hours.
- Depth: 6 inches
- Driver Configuration:1″ Aluminum dome tweeter, 5.5″ PolyTitanium midrange, Dual 6.5″ PolyTitanium woofers
- Frequency Response Curve: 34-20,000 Hz
- Audio Sensitivity96 dB
- Impdedance :8 ohm
- Crossover Description: 2.0 Khz, 650 Hz
- Speaker Driver Material: Polypropylene
- Maximum Speaker Depth (inches): 6 inches
- Exclusive Convergent source Module features woofer and tweeter uniquely integrated for accurate sound and expansive soundstage.
- Dual 6.5-Inch Woofers and 5.5-Inch midrange feature patented Ribbed Elliptical Surround suspension for greater dynamics
- Exclusive 1-Inch Hyperbolic Aluminum tweeter provides high frequency accuracy, high power-handling and wide dispersion
- Rigid, low-distortion cross-braced MDF enclosure with attractive Black Ash Finish and Black High Gloss trim.
- RRP: $549.99 each (Check Amazon for Current Pricing)